Wednesday, April 10, 2013

Just Add Chickens

We have added chickens to our little (but growing) farm!

I am definitely embracing this farm life more and more, I was actually looking forward to bringing home these little fluffs. We had discussed getting 6 - 8, thinking as first time chicken raisers we didn't want to be overwhelmed...but somehow we came home with 10! 10 little chicks in a box, a small box.

So far, they are pretty shy. I have told Farmer that I think we should handle them on regular basis to try to domesticate them. Well as domesticated as chickens can be. 

They are adjusting well to their new home. Which seems pretty large, but I know that they will have to be in this home for many weeks, hopefully they don't grow too quickly. Ha!

They are so cute and fluffy! It's been so much fun to watch them run around and learn to perch. They are a bit unsteady but learning fast. I hope I like them as well when they are just big birds.

We are working their names. It's tough to come up with 10 chicken-appropriate names. I have decided on 
Tilly, Dixie, Lizzy, Anabelle, and Pancake. I am able to tell the ones that are named apart...for now. I hope they maintain a bit of their color differentiation so that remains the case. But as their feathers come in they are becoming more and more alike, so wish me luck. 

So Cute!!!


No comments:

Post a Comment