Monday, June 25, 2012

It's not a real farm until...

... we have livestock.

And now we do! We now are the proud new parents of two calves. We will raise them up and then when they are big and healthy, we will eat them up. I approach this with a lot of enthusiasm and just a little bit of hesitation. I have visions of this changing quickly to lots of hesitation and very little enthusiasm.

When the Farmer and I first discussed raising cattle, I expressed my severe disinclination for the smell. He explained if we have 2 acres of pasture and only a couple of cows, it probably won't smell much if, at all. So I agreed. Reluctantly at first but then got to thinking of the benefits. 1. It would be like a real farm 2. It's a learning experience. 3. Maybe I would like it. (This is highly doubtful) 4. Maybe I won't hate it. 5. Meat. I love meat and meat raised by us should be profoundly tasty meat. 6. It will be cheaper, without clipping coupons.

Today, our new cows weigh about 175 lbs each. We hope the will grow to a whopping 1,200 lbs in about 18 months. (Can you even imagine the caloric intake for that?!).

So we took lots of pictures because the way I figure it, one day, when they are big and smelly I will want to remember that at one point I thought they were cute and in total support of this endeavor.

Last night I told Farmer that we would have to think of cute names for them. He promptly replied "We are not naming them! They are not pets." Now, I get that they are not pets. But I am still naming them but what to name them is the real question.

My first thought: Salisbury and Stroganoff. Pros: it's funny, because that's what they will be. Cons: It's a bit obvious and maybe a bit cruel to the cows to consistently remind them they are just food.

My second thought: Something literary. Like Hemingway and Mark Twain. I love books. So why not name them after a great author. Pros: it's funny because they will never read, or write great books. Cons: I will have to explain it to everyone.

My third thought: Something clever. Like Ferris Mooler. Pros: It's funny and witty. Two of my favorite things. Cons: I am not clever enough to come up with these things. The best I could do was Moo Radley from To Kill a Mockingbird.

My fourth thought:  A long title like Captain Moolington the Third. Pros: It's funny and fun to say. Cons: Coming up with something truly original.

So far here are the names we've considered: Salisbury, Stroganoff, Hemingway, Mark Twain, Moo Radley, Ferris Mooler, Captain Moolington III, Sargent Cudinski. Stay tuned. Hopefully we can make up our minds tonight.

No comments:

Post a Comment